Sunday, March 25, 2007

Burger King Exposé


Burger King

Driving back to Austin, we decided to stop in the middle of nowhere for brunch. There was a sign that said “Country Cookin” so we followed it…all the way to a gas station with a small counter inside serving corn dogs, fried okra, fried chicken, and French fries. We left and went to IHOP across the street. There we waited fifteen minutes to sit down, and two cups of coffee and twenty minutes later, we were informed that our food would not arrive for at least another 45 minutes. We left and began our search for food. By this time it was 12:30 in the afternoon, and we had been on the road since 8 a.m. We were hungry, and desperate. So we did what any red blooded Americans would do, we went to a gas station. Lucky for me, they had a Burger King attached. Lucky for my parents, the gas station had Dr. Pepper and Famous Amos cookies.

I had to stand in line to order my Burger King meal for fifteen minutes. My parents refused to eat it, but they cheered me on from the sidelines and would wave and smile from the gas station section. By the time it was my turn to order, I had read the menu ten times and couldn’t decide. My mom came over and asked me what I was going to have, and all I could say was, “everything.” I sacrifice myself for you dear readers, and as I sit typing this in the back of the car, my stomach filled with grease, I know that my suffering is for the greater good.



Surprisingly, this wasn’t awful. I was impressed by how many condiments and other “food accessories” came on this one dollar hamburger. The sesame seed bun was a pleasant surprise, as was the general taste of the starchy white bun. The sandwich also had lettuce, tomato, pickles, mayonnaise, and ketchup. I easily could have stopped after eating this.


Burger King Onion Rings

These little things are fried, not salty…and everything you would expect from a fast food onion ring. I think making onion rings is a labor of love, and there is no love being put into making these. I could tell these onion rings had been sitting in a freezer for at least a year before making their way into my mouth, because the onion inside was dried up and tasteless. It was pretty disappointing. After a while I kept trying to imagine there was onion flavor there, but not even my wild imagination could do anything to help these pathetic onion rings.


Burger King Chicken Tenders

I hope you all can see in the picture that the chicken tenders are not tenders at all, but nuggets shaped like crowns. It is truly the most unnatural sight you can imagine for food. I was also upset because they were COLD. Maybe I’m exaggerating, and they were lukewarm. But if I order chicken “tenders” at 12:45 I expect them to be piping hot, because after all, that is prime chicken tender time. They were gross. I will say that the batter they are fried in has pepper mixed in with it and you can definitely taste it, and it gives these nugget/tenders the upper hand on other fast food restaurants’ chicken.


Burger King French Fries

Once again, I tried to save the best for last. And I did. It’s hard to mess up French fries. Even in a shaking car with the air conditioner on, they were still warm when I got to them. They could have been a little crispier and a little saltier, but by the time I got to them my expectations were rather low, and the fast food addictive chemicals had begun to kick in, and therefore they tasted like heaven.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant believe you really had everything. Awesome.

Ghostwriter said...

You are one disgusting mother fucker. Jennifer, I'll tell you something--I couldn't finish reading this post I was so...disgusted? Can you go back to the good ol' days? Seriously, couscous, waffles, fried pickles, these are things I can read about.

With the greatest of love and admiration (after all, you did come out of the post alive),
Ariana

Ghostwriter said...

P.S. Jackie, please excuse my foul mouth...I needed abominable words to describe the angst deep in the back of my throat.

<3 Ariana (who will be working on her sailor mouth)