Thursday, December 28, 2006

7 A Day--That's What the Doctor Ordered


Leftover Moroccan Couscous

I awoke three hours before Ariana this morning (afternoon, I should say) and decided to feast on my leftovers to hold me over. It was much better than I expected. Usually I don't care for leftover chicken because it becomes to rubbery in the refrigerator, but this maintained a perfectly acceptable consistency. Also, it tasted just as good cold as it did warm, which adds to its splendor. I found one of the dried apricots from Ariana's in my container, and I thought that the sweet and sourness of it added a lot to the other flavors.




Andrew's Coffee Shop Spinach Omelette

Since she slept in so late, Ariana entertained me by accompanying me to the old hangout, Andrew's Coffee Shop. It is right across the street from the apartment I used to live in, and for seven dollars you get a large omelette, some great french fries, and two pieces of toast. The spinach is fresh, not from a can, which is something that too many restaurants in New York resort to for their spinach omelettes. The toast is usually a little burned, but that's the way toast should be. It adds flavor. The french fries are so good. Sometimes they are soggy, but today they were perfectly crisp; so crisp, in fact, that I got a piece of crispiness stuck in my teeth. I CLEANED MY PLATE! I'm a true champ.

Bread TriBeCa Pizza

Ariana's roommate Albert gave us his leftover pizza this evening. It was cold when we got it, but hey, it's pizza, and it was from Bread, which according to the Zagat guide, is really amazing. It had Gorgonzola on the pizza, which I didn't recognize, and didn't find out about until later when he told us that's what it was, and that he had never heard of putting it on pizza before. That was a pretty big deal to me as he is really into food, and even works at one of the BLT's. Anyway, it didn't work for the pizza, although the cheese and crust alone would have been good. The sauce was way too sweet and couldn't hold its own. Ariana described the overall taste of the pizza as "wangy." Take it for what you will.


Diet Dr. Pepper in the Context of Ariana's Living Room

We were the SoHo Garden picking out sushi when I spotted a Diet Dr. Pepper in the refrigerator. Dr. Pepper is extremely hard to come by in New York and I jumped at the chance to refresh myself with it. It was good, but a little on the warm side. One thing I like about this place is that they give you straws to drink your canned beverages with. I don't mean to sound like the girl with smiley face stickers all over her notebooks when I say that, I just like how it adds a little extra fizz to each sip and how the straw floats around and sticks out of the can and sometimes falls out.


SoHo Garden's Orange Sushi

This is the sushi that I got at SoHo Garden. I was very impressed with the taste overall, but it was pretty poorly wrapped. I ate it with my fingers so it wasn't really a problem. It had microscopic bits of orange peel on the rice, shrimp, avocado, and celery. And it was only four dollars! I can't believe it. I wish I knew about this orange sushi when I lived here. The orange adds the best citrusy flavor to the sushi. I bet this would be amazing fresh at a nice sushi restaurant.


M&M's in a tin drum

We were given a tin drum full of M&M's (a Christmas tree decoration that someone gave to him as a gift) from another one of Ariana's roommates. M&M's are always good, especially when they are green and red and put you in a holiday mood. I miss crispy M&M's. Does anyone remember those? They had the piece of rice crispy cereal (or something to that effect) on the inside. I think they were popular around 2000, because I remember having them at our 1999-2000 New Year's Eve party. Bring 'em back, M&M and Mars Co.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I concur with your critique of Bread's pizza; not to mention, your analysis of my roommates--Albert continues to be the source of much of my discontent. Back to food, though...Albert talked up Bread to such an extent that I really expected more than the wangy concoction we shared. And, wangy is legitimate terminology. I can't think of any other word to describe to sharp, tart taste in my mouth...I guess tarp, but that conjures other imagery.