Saturday, December 30, 2006

Prada and Cookies


Country Harvest Wheat Bread

Ariana's friend Diana donated this bread to the Ariana's Pantry Foundation. Ariana has been telling me about it, because it is so good. It is available at Target. They both love it. It just tasted like sliced bread to me, but what do I know? Maybe you can't get fresh bread at a reasonable price this city that doesn't have cheese on top of it.


Chat 'n' Chew Mac 'n' Cheese Please

Ariana's been researching diners on the internet, and the Zagat guide says that Chat 'n' Chew is amazing, so we decided to go. It was quite an experience. Ariana had a hamburger for the first time in three years. I decided to go the road more travelled and try their the macaroni and cheese that has gotten rave reviews from everything from Zagat to menupages. It was okay but incredibly cheesy and kind of bland. I added salt and tobasco to make it better, which helped but that made me thirsty and the service was very slow. Also they were blasting the John Hughes Movie Soundtrack and it made the "chatting" very difficult. Most of the people in there were New Yorkers, and at this point I'm not sure if I prefer that or not. New Yorkers are equally large pains in the ass as tourists.


Chat 'n' Chew Fries

Ariana's burger came with fries and she let me help her eat them. They were the best part of my meal. They were super crisp, probably overcooked, and the contrast of texture really helped. And lots ketchup helps every meal.


Feast for the Eyes- Rockefeller Christmas Tree

I stupidly insisted we visit the tree, despite the tourists we would inevitably have to battle. It was worth it though. I had no idea that any tree could grow to be this big. Also the lights on it were colorful, which I think is so much prettier than white lights.



Two Boots Sicilian Pizza

This is around the corner from the Urban Outfitters on Broadway that Ariana works at, so it came highly recommended by her and all of her coworkers. I should have gotten the The Night Tripper, which is a white pizza with jalapeno pesto and spinch and sundried tomatos. But I stupidly went for the Sicilian, with "spicy" sauce and moz. There was nothing spicy about it. It tasted like hairspray. Ariana described it as sweet. Everything else was good though, especially the crust. It was thick and warm and crunchy. I want more of the crust.


Warm Chocolate Chip Cookies

After a long day of walking around, we retired to the apartment to decompress and bake cookies. They are still warm, and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, the way everything good cookie should be. I have to go eat them now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I mean I really hate to tell you this because you tried so hard yesterday to partake in all the major food groups; however, mac. 'n' cheese plus pizza equals a lot of cheese and carbohydrates--in the form pasta and bread, that is. Oh, yeah, I completely forgetting to mention the Country Harvest wheat bread...
It disappoints me to hear that you don't taste the wonder in the bread, but I believe you hit in right on the head: it is extremely difficult to find some fresh, tasty food products in the Big Apple such as bread. I'm not kidding, it's the most difficult feat. In my first attempt, I settled on the classic, and sure-to-please Pepperidge Farm brand. Unfortunately, that loaf proved to be dissatisfactory. I gave those bakers two more, subsequent shots, always coming much too short of satiation. I tried some other brands here and there, and finally (about three weeks ago) I happened across this brand. Best damn bread I've ever had--I think it's the taste of success!