Friday, December 1, 2006

A Good Day


Taco Cabana Tortillas and Queso

I had a long list of errands to run this afternoon, which concluded with dropping off my rent at my apartment management's office, which is around the corner for Taco Cabana. I turned the corner and saw it, and I knew what I needed to do. I decided it would be a bad move to get black bean tacos so soon after having a bad experience. If they had been bad today, I might never eat them again, and that would be really horrible. So I did what any sensible bread and cheese lover would do; I just ordered tortillas and queso. I might be imagining things but something about the queso burned my throat after I swallowed, and it isn't because of the temperature. Oh well, I'm not complaining. The tortillas were excellent as usual. I'm pretty sure Taco Cabana makes the best tortillas in the world. Although if anyone has had any that are better, I would love to hear about them.



Galaxy Café Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Mozzarella and Bacon and Bowtie Pesto Pasta

Galaxy Café is the funnest restaurant I've been to in a while. Not fun in a Chuck E. Cheese way, fun in a grown up way. Everything about it is really relaxed, except for the three giant dogs tied to table legs outside. You order your food at the counter and then they bring it to you, which makes for a great meal if you aren't in the mood to be bothered by waiters. I went with my friend Becky, but it really strikes me as the kind of place I want to take my mom when she visits. Also, it should be said that there was ample lighting to see the menu where you ordered, and the lights were very dim and pleasant in the rest of the place. AND the papers that have your order number were interesting enough to keep me occupied for a minute, with made up words and their definitions. We go "telecrastination" and "jukejitters."

Okay, so the food was very good. I had some problems with pieces of my sandwich falling out. And in one place, the chicken was so sinewy that I had to spit it out (sorry about that). But everything tasted great. The mozzarella was a little lost between the chicken and the bacon, and it was fresh and had lots of mozzarella juice dripping out. Also the girl told me I really need to try it with mayonnaise, so I got it on the side. It really was good mayonnaise. And then there were tomato slices and onions on the side. I don't really like to eat onions because I hate onion breath. The tomatos I chose not to put on my sandwich because it was truly the best tomato I've had since the big tomato pesticide fiasco of '06.

The Bowtie Pesto Pasta was so good! It had lots of roasted red bell peppers and Greek olives on top. All of it was delicious on its own and together. The olives were a pretty strong contrast to the pesto, but after a few bites I grew accustomed to it and enjoyed it.

I really want to go back and try other things at this restaurant. It is one of those super cool Austin restaurants that isn't a nasty hippie place. The furniture was from Ikea. And they are right next to the best Christmas decorated house I've ever seen. Four stars

No comments: