Friday, December 29, 2006

Hallelujah


Murray's Coffee

Today was the day my friends. Today I was reunited with my favorite food of all time. But I will start with the coffee, just to tease you. It was good as usual but it's kind of bitter. It doesn't pair well with the bagel, so it is best to just drink it after you are done eating. It makes you very thirsty for water and has a lot of caffeine.



Murray's Sesame Bagel with Jalapeno Cream Cheese

I have waited so long for this. It is still the best bagel in the world, and obviously the best bagel. One thing you should know before you go is that they will not toast your bagel for you. When I told this to Ariana she begged me to go with her to SoHo Garden beforehand so she could get a yogurt parfait instead of eating an untoasted bagel. I told her she would regret it for the rest of her life, so she went with the bagel. They were warm, right out of the oven. There's no need to toast bagels as fresh as these. The sesame seeds add the perfect compliment to what would otherwise be a plain bagel. The jalapenos are so spicy it reminds me of Texas and they are fresh and crunchy but not cold. It is the perfect meal. The spice from the jalapenos made the coffee burn and taste bitter (I tried to allude to this earlier but it was too awkward with the order in which I am presenting the pictures). If you ever come to New York, you have to come here. The good one is on 8th Ave between 22nd and 23rd. There's another one on Sixth Ave between 12th and 13th, but it blows in comparison to the other one, as there is barely any seating and the staff is less friendly.


Feast for the Eyes

Walking back to the subway from Murray's (it is in Chelsea, and there is nothing to do in Chelsea unless you want to look at tacky contemporary art or hang out with tacky gay men), we spotted a new restaurant called burgers & cupcakes! The sign drew me in so I walked over to read the menu on the door and on the sidewalk outside the gift shop next door is a pink toilet used for cigarette butts. I thought it was hilarious, because I hate Chelsea, except for Murray's, and this is such a gross-awkward-funny-interesting-convenient thing to have on the sidewalk.


Feast for the Eyes- Two in One Day!

This was a coffee cup from a magazine/coffee stand that I deconstructed in order to take a good picture. I have never seen these cups on the streets before, and I saw them sitting there and I stared at them. Ariana was so kind as to ask the man if I could have one, and he gladly gave it to me. I just think it's cute, and I like looking at it more than coffee cups with car advertisements on them, which is what you find at every other stand.


Chipotle, E. 8th Street (pictured on a coffee table)

We stomped around the city taking pictures this afternoon and we were on our feet for ours. When Ariana went to work, I went to MoMA for a few hours, then visited her, then walked around the village. I hadn't eaten since my 11a.m. bagel so I was starving. I considered going to a pizza place nearby that was highly recommended, but I decided that braed and cheese as a meal twice in one day would be too much, and I was starving, and my feet were going to fall off. So I went to the Chipotle I always used to eat at by NYU. I was afraid they were closed, because no one was in there and only one person was working. But they were open, so I didn't have to give up on Chipotle forever. It was good, as usual, but he was pretty stingy on all the ingredients, especially the red tomatillo. It was the best wrap job I've ever had at any Chipotle ever though.


Vienna Fingers

We bought these at Grand Deli last night. They remind me of my childhood. The cookie part isn't very tasty, it is too much like a cracker instead of a cookie. The icing is what makes it. It is creamy but not heavy. It's just good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Readers, if any of you have ever had doubt in Miss Mona Pizza's sincereity or expertise when it comes to food, I can most definitely assure you that she is not a food fraud.
This woman knows her bagels and, by proxy, food. Although I know better to indulge in a daily bagel, I just may have to now. Muarry's was so delightful. Crunchy but soft enough, flavorful but notsomuch so, creamy, spicy, everything you could ever wish for in a sesame bagel with jalepeno cream cheese. Jennifer's taking us back tomorrow, no complaint from--even if it means I have to get up before 1:30 pm. It's just that worth it.
Now, the Chipotle (sigh of discontentment)...is always a good choice; EXCEPT, when you're in New York and you have a burrito addiction to work through. I don't know if any of you have noticed this trend--understandably, this is relatively new blog, and word of mouth does take time to spread; but I have no doubt this site will compete with Google in hits per second, soon rather than later--but Jennifer seems to "rely on the burrito...to much," as she put it so eloquently. I made her look me in the eyes and promise that she wouldn't go to Chipotle while visiting me in New York (or, for that matter, make us go--while I do enjoy a burrito from time to time, it's definitely not a "bountiful" food craving of mine). By the way, this promise was prompted after she told me that this was the longest she gone without eating at McDonald's successful Mexican experiment: "approximately 3 weeks" (the fact that she felt the need to utilize approximately--shaking of head--is telling. Anyway, as you have seen, she broke her promise to me, and now I can't help but be broken-hearted and further than concerned. Now I go to you, faithful readers, for some assistance in the intervention. By taking the time to comment in overwhelming waves, requesting certain restaurants and foods to be reviewed/blogged, we can prevent her from becoming Chipotle's mascot. Seriously, at this point, you and I are the only things standing between her and the burrito-in-red-basket suit.