Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Caloric Intake- Through the Roof


Aroma Hot Chocolate

I was very excited about this hot chocolate because I heard that they bring it to you in a clear cup with hot milk and they drop a bunch of pieces of chocolate in the bottom and you get to watch it melt into the milk and become delicious hot chocolate. I was pretty disappointed when I didn't get the see through cup but I managed to survive. I still got to stir it. Also, I didn't expect it to smell so good.


Aroma Melted Hot Chocolate

So this is what it looked like once all the chocolate had melted. It turned a very pretty shade of brown and there are a bunch of tiny chocolate specks that didn't melt floating around. It was really pretty. This is definitely the best hot chocolate I've ever had in my life. I kind of expected it to be really thick and heavy and weigh me down the rest of the day but it was pretty light all things considered. I felt good about it afterwards. It did cost five dollars for a small cup though.


Aroma Chocolate

Every time you order something at this espresso bar/café they give you a piece of chocolate to go with it. That is pretty much the best gimmick a food establishment can have. There are always a ton of Jewlish people there which is impoirtant to note for the atmosphere. Aroma is a chain is Israel so they all flock to the one in New York. There was a mid-20s Jewish boy holding his camera above his head and taking pictures of the place. It made me feel pretty uncomfortable. It is also the cleanest place I've been in New York, and all of the decorations are very pretty, although the red black and white theme is getting old.


Spice Spring Rolls

I was dead set on going to Spice for lunch today, because I used to go there all the time, and it is cheap and truly delicious Thai (American) food. It is the most economical to go at lunch because the entrees are a dollar less and you get a free appetizer. My appetizer of choice was the spring rolls. They are perfectly crispy with no extra grease dripping from them. All that is inside is cabbage, carrots, and vermicelli. The best part is the carrot sauce that doesn't taste like carrots at all. It's more like sugary lemon sauce. I could eat these every day.


Spice Vegetable Dumplings

Ariana got these as her appetizer and shared them with me. They have brocolli and spinach in them and they are served in a black bean sauce. They are so good, everything you want in a dumpling. The dumpling noodle is soft and a little chewy with not too much flavor, the vegetables are (or at least taste) fresh on the inside, and the sauce adds a salty contrast.


Spice Black Noodles

I used to think I could eat these for the rest of my life and be happy. They are just as delicious as I remember, but something wasn't right. I used to be able to finish my whole dish in five minutes flat, but today I couldn't even finish half of them. Spice is cool though because you get so much food for how much money you're spending (the appetizer and entree is $6.50), and by student standards you feel pretty fancy eating there because the decorations are so fun. I am disappointed with my inability to finish my black noodles, but I will give the space they took up in my heart to Murray's bagels until we meet again.


Feast For the Eyes- Anti-Neck Face Graffiti

Walking around the village and SoHo today, we stumbled upon this. It is on the exterior of Au Bon Pain, which makes it that much more ridiculous. It says "Neck Face is Ugly." I don't know if it's an inside joke I am unaware of. I don't know if this person was trying to insult Neck Face, or if they are just trying to get his name out there. Anyway, this one goes out to you, Gooze.


Dojo Hummus

Dojo is good because it is cheap and tasty with a lot of vegetarian options and and good locations. We got hummus for an appetizer because the sandwiches aren't big enough to constitute a meal (case in point: I once ate an entire burrito after eating a Dojo grilled cheese and salad). The hummus there is interesting. Instead of using olive oil, they use sesame oil, which gives it an asian flare. Unfortunately it is a flare I'd rather my hummus not have. You can't stop eating it, but it's runny and the flavor is overpowering.


Dojo Grilled Cheese and Salad

This is such a good little meal. You get your choice of cheese, so I chose cheddar. They make it in a pita pocket which I've never had anywhere else, but the idea works so perfectly. It is best eaten with the hot sauce, which is Lousiana hot sauce, which is not really hot at all. It still adds good flavor though. The salad is good because the lettuce is fresh and the dressing is some weird asian dressing with carrots and tanginess. I've never had anything like it but it is very good.


Dojo fries

Ariana got some fries to supplement her meal and they were the best fries I've had in the city, besides pomme frites. They were warm and crispy and didn't taste like the fries that were served in the middle school cafeteria. And any excuse to use excessive amounts of ketchup is alright with me.


PopCorner Brownie

Tonight we decided to ride the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and Manhattan lit up at night. In the building on the way back there was a food stand called The PopCorner (funny, they didn't serve popcorn) to get dessert. They had a huge selection of cheesecake and tirimisu but I decided to go for the brownie. It was decent, but not worth the calories. That is the best way to judge dessert. After I warmed it up in the microwave it got better but I still regret it.


PopCorner Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ariana has a way with food service employees that gets her free food constantly. She asked the young man working at the dessert counter about every single dessert, and she finally decided on a fifty cent cookie. She paid and we started to walk away when she looked in her bag and realized he had given her not one, not two, not three, but four warm and delicious chocolate chip cookies. I wish I had this kind of luck but I don't so I just have to utilize her. She is always happy to share. They were very good chocolate chip cookies. They were worth every calorie.

No comments: