Saturday, January 27, 2007

Surprises


Clementine Iced Coffee

Okay this afternoon we went to Clementine to study (plus I got to go to cross off another place off of Matthew's list of places in Austin I need to try). I had an iced coffee and the gooze had a root beer, which you can see on the right of this picture. The iced coffee was very good, definitely the best I've had in Austin. It was cold and tasted like coffee, not bacon. Plus they had skim milk for me to use, not just half and half like other coffee shops I won't mention here. Also somehow the sugar I added to it managed to actually blend in with the drink and not sink to the bottom. It was some sort of miracle.


Clementine Bagel Special

Once we finally got our bagels (boy in black tights let them toast for like twenty minutes, but they didn't burn?) we were more than happy to assemble them. We got a little container of cream cheese, a sliced roma tomato, and onion. It was a pretty good bagel sandwich overall. I figured the tomato would be good, but I wasn't sure how the onion would be. It was surprisingly fresh and tasty. I don't know if I would get this again, because I'd rather try this cinammon almond croissant my friend Jackie got that looked amazing. But the bagel was definitely okay, considering it's the first one I've had since Murray's.


Noodle-ism Pad Thai with Shrimp

Amanda, Eunice and I headed to Kyoto for sushi tonight but after we waited outside in the cold for fifteen minutes they told us we weren't going to be let in, even though there were still twenty minutes of happy hour left. Garbage. Anyway, after walking around for a few minutes we stumbled upon Noodle-ism, an asian noodle restaurant on fifth street. I just looked up an online review of this place, and it says that "as soon as you walk in the door, you feel like you're in southeast Asia." This is completely false. It's pretty modern but plain as far as the decorations are considered. The best part was that there is a huge mural of pictures of the food, so you can see what you're going to order and don't get stuck with something you weren't expecting. A lot of things looked good, but Pad Thai (stir fried rice noodles with peanuts, lime, and cilantro) sounded really good, even if it is kind of the Americanized fake Thai dish. So I got it with shrimp and loved it. It was spicy (upon request) and my mouth was in Thai heaven. The spices were familiar, I guess similar to other pad thais I've had, but on a whole nother level with the heat. The shrimp was overcooked and blackened by the grill but whatever. Also there was too much cilantro, which tasted like soap, but that was easy to remove. I would go back here, but the next time I go eat downtown I'm definitely getting sushi.

No comments: