Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Yesterday and the Day Before Yesterday


Stash Apple Tea

I fell asleep after Oprah (this is a favorite pasttime of mine). When I woke up it was after 7:30. Big deal right? Well yesterday on Oprah they were talking about the Best Life Diet, and they say you shouldn't eat after 7:30. So I chose not to eat dinner. I wasn't really hungry after my burrito anyway. But I did decide it would be okay for me to have some tea. I got a box of different fruit teas at Central Market, and they have all been pretty good so far, but this one definitely has the most flavor, so much that you don't need honey or sugar.


SUNDAY

Red River Café

I have been wanting to eat here since I moved into my old apartment. It is literally right next door and so cute and always smells good. The thing is, it's mostly a breakfast place, and closes around 5 every day. I never go out to eat during those times because I'm either at school or work, or asleep. Luckily my parents were down on Sunday morning helping me move into my new apartment. In between trips back and forth, we stopped here. It was so good, I can't believe I didn't eat there every day all semester. Also, the eggs that are seen here on the menu are also painted on the outside of the building.


Red River Café Eggs Montreal with home fries.

So, what is Eggs Montreal? It's an English muffin cut in half, each piled with a slice of tomato, a fried egg, and a piece of Swiss Cheese with Hollandaise sauce (just so you know, I originally spelled that "swish" and spent five minutes staring at it trying to figure out what was wrong). When I ordered this I didn't know it was going to be fried eggs. You guys know I'm terrified of egg yolks. But what was I going to do, send it back because of my ignorance of the menu? Of course not. I had to toughen up and eat it. I ended up loving it. I tried not to look at it and for the most part succeeded. I really liked the swiss with the egg, which is a combination I had never had before. The slice of tomato was pretty small and was lost between everything else. I didn't think the hollandaise sauce was everything it's cracked up to be. For me it was all about the egg, cheese, and muffin.

Oh yeah, and the home fries sucked. I added a lot of ketchup and they still sucked. They tasted like an old uncleaned skillet. I couldn't even taste the potato in there. But that doesn't scare me away from the restaurant. You have a choice between home fries, regular fries, and fruit. Don't worry, I will be back.


Red River Cafe Eggs Montreal Close Up

See how small the tomato is? I do think it adds some color that they plate would otherwise be lacking though.






Chili's Southwestern Egg Rolls

After I moved in and my parents, left, Becky called and invited me to go to Chili's with her and Patrick. Sure why not give it a try? I've never been a fan of Chili's, and growing up in the suburbs it was easily my least favorite restaurant of all time. What do they really have to offer? They have a huge variety but nothing is their speciality, nothing is really good, except the Awesome Blossom. Anyway, Becky and Patrick were raving about the Southwestern Egg Rolls so we had to get them. It's a really interesting concept, and surprisingly good. In it there is chicken, cheese, black beans, peppers, some green onions. I don't remember what else. It kind of smelled like burned queso but it tasted really good. and The shell/egg roll part was really crunchy and easy to eat.


Chili's BBQ Ranch Hamburger

Messiest burger I've ever eaten. There was nothing special about it. Way too much bbq sauce. Not enough ranch. The bacon was too hard to chew. The actual hamburger patty was okay. I would definitely rather have something a little easier to eat. I'm not opposed to layering on the ingredients on a burger, but these just didn't work. It was satisfactory, it's definitely not the worst thing in the world. But if you're going to eat a burger, bottom line, you want it to be spectacular.

No comments: