Wednesday, January 10, 2007

One, Two, Three Days of Bacon


The Mecca Bacon and Cheddar Omelette

I'd never heard of this place until recently, but apparentally it is a Dallas legend. "You know it's good when the truckers and the farmers eat here." It is on Harry Hines in a pretty sketchy neighborhood, but no neighborhood is too scary to conquer in the name of good food in the daylight. So we made our way down there and it was packed. Even though it was after noon, I had breakfast on my mind so I ordered an omelette. Plus I, along with many restaurant legends, think the key to judging a restaurant's chefs is by how they cook their omelettes. Actually, most people just say eggs, but I say omelettes. Anyway, I had a bacon and cheddar omellete with hashbrowns and biscuits. The bacon was interesting, It was cooked into the eggs and then the cheese was in the middle. It tasted good, but the bacon flavor really overpowered the eggs so I could only eat about half of it. The cheddar was warm and stringy and delicious. The eggs were a little overdone, but that's how I like them so that's a good thing.

The hashbrowns were okay with a lot of hot sauce, otherwise there was something offputting about them. They didn't taste like potatoes, they just tasted like a greasy pan without being extra greasy. I'm still confused about them, but I will definitely give them a few more tries before deciding whether or not I liked them.


The Mecca Biscuits

The homemade biscuits were amazing. They were huge (though not as big as the cinammon rolls, which are rumored to be the size of your face). They were warm and fluffy and smelled good too. I wish I could wake up to that smell every day.

No comments: