Friday, January 12, 2007

Sushi Sushi Sushi


Kyoto Seaweed Salad

I had never been to this sushi place before, but I am so impressed by it. Amanda and I went to Happy Hour which is from 6 to 6:45. We had to wait in a long line that went out the door for fifteen minutes before we could be seated. When we were seated the service was pretty fast, and our waitress was really good about refilling my water. We started with a seaweed salad, which was tiny, but it has such strong flavors that it is plenty to share. Seaweed salad is marinated (I guess) sliced cucumber and seaweed. I have had some bad seaweed in my day, so I wasn't very excited about this. But this was amazing. It was room temperature, which I think made a big difference with the flavors. I could taste the seaweed but it wasn't too strong. It was sliced so thin that it was kind of hard to eat with the chopsticks, but I'm getting better.


Kyoto Unagi Roll

Eel is my favorite kind of sushi and this was true again tonight. The eel was laid across the top of the pieces and inside the roll there was something crunchy that looked like iceburg lettuce, but I really don't know what it was. The sauce on top was like a thicker, sweeter soy sauce. And it was warm, which I really am liking lately with sushi sauces. This was truly delicious, and it cost three dollars. Eel just has a good flavor that I don't think other fish has. Don't worry mom, it is cooked, not raw.


Kyoto Longhorn Roll

This is so strange but really enjoyable at the same time. They arrange the thinly sliced pieces in the shape of a V which I think they think resembles the longhorn. Also, the sauce is burnt orange. The sauce was so good, it was kind of like a sweet and spicy sauce, but much more on the spicy side than sweet. Also, I couldn't tell for sure because it was so dark in there, but it tasted like the edges of the pieces were dipped in tempura batter and fried for a second. I have no idea what was in it, but my guess is shrimp. It was also served warm, and the pieces weren't too big, so I didn't feel like I was going to choke each time I ate one.


Kyoto Spider Roll

I never realized that spider rolls were soft shell crab before. I always thought they were shrimp (shows what I know). This had the same sauce that the Unagi roll had, and it was just as delicious on this as it was on the Unagi. There was nothing wrong with it, it was a great sushi roll, and it was also three dollars, there was just nothing magical about it. I did totally enjoy eating the end pieces of the soft shell crab though. It was fun, and challenging to pull them out of the piece of sushi with chopsticks and without making the whole thing fall apart.


Kyoto Godzilla Roll

This was ridiculous. I ordered it just because of the same and it was incredibly extravagently plated. They were stacked on top of each other and there were crazy lines everywhere and celery or something sticking out of the whole thing. Plus there were fried pieces of salt (at least, that's what they tasted like) sprinkled arcross the whole thing. The sushi itself wasn't bad though. It was salmon (that was raw, mom) and avocado I think with fried salt galore. The worst thing about this was the rice, it was falling off the seaweed and it made it really hard to pick up. Overall it didn't detract from the sushi eating experience though.


Bellagio Caramel Praline Hot Chocolate

My brother's girlfriend's family gave our family a multipack of hot chocolate for Christmas so I brought a couple back to Austin with me to try. The first one I wanted to try was caramel praline. It wasn't bad, but it was nothing compared to the hot chocolate I had at Aroma in New York. The praline flavor was too strong and the caramel flavor was too weak. It was really rich but I used water instead of milk so it was bearable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i finally checked out your food blog and it is quite entertaining. i love it! keep it up. Thanks for having dinner with me! it was a blast.