Sunday, January 7, 2007

Exotic


Cafe Izmir Hummus

This evening Ariana took me to a Mediterranean Tapas restaurant on Lower Greenville in Dallas called Cafe Izmir. It was so good. We started with hummus of course. The hummus there was rated the best hummus in Dallas by D Magazine, and that means a lot to me. It was so smooth and creamy and wonderful with lots of garlic. There was a chickpea garnish on top and we agreed to mix it into the hummus so whoever got it would have good luck, like Kings' Bread. Anyway, The hummus had the liquidy texture that didn't allow it to be hidden so we both avoided it all night hoping the other would just take it. But in the end I took it. I'm sorry. I let you eat all the yogurt and dill with a spoon?


Cafe Izmir Saffron Rice

This is one of my top ten foods of all time. I had never had "buttery saffron rice" before, but Ariana was raised on it. I could eat it again and again. The yellow color was gorgeous. It was warm. It had a flavor that I didn't recognize and was very familiar with at the same time. It felt like home a little bit. I really want to go back and have more, or learn how to make it myself. Saffron is expensive but this is so worth it.


Cafe Izmir Lamb Roll

I saw this on the menu and knew I needed to try it. Maggie's favorite food is lamb, and before tonight I had never tried it, so it was time. It was delish. I didn't think that it would have a different flavor than beef because the color and texture are so similar. It actually has a very distinctive flavor that I enjoyed a lot. I especially enjoyed it alongside the tabouli/pico de gallo. It was spicy and meaty and filling. I was a little worried that my stomach would react violently against the lamb, because that's what it tends to do with meat it is unfamiliar with, however, it's six hours later now and I still feel great.


Sonic Ocean Water

After dinner, we went to the twins apartment and Mando was thirsty so we went to Sonic. I decided to get an ocean water because it's so good. It's sprite with some coconut flavoring, blue food coloring, a slice of orange and a cherry. I think that is the recipe for success. It is refreshing but sweet, like a dessert and a filling meal should be.

No comments: